Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why do we need another blog?

For several months (OK, years), I've read and observed quite a bit regarding software development, management, etc. Much of what is written is spot-on accurate. I noticed, however, that much of what is written seems to be written by consultants (which is fine - more on this in future posts) or by folks "in the trenches".

As I move from post to post, book to book, and article to article, I have a growing sense that there is something missing. What I find missing is representation from executive leaders.

That is - where are the Vice President and Director level voices out there?
  • Are we too busy? (Doubt it)
  • Do we not have anything to say? (Doubt that too - just ask my team)
  • Do we not care? (I hope we do)
Ultimately, I'm not really sure. Maybe it's just that I am reading/listening/viewing the wrong material.
So this blog is my contribution to the literature - from the view of a software exec.
A few things:
  • These writings are my personal opinions
  • Any real life stories are going to be greatly changed to minimize or eliminate harm to companies and people I've worked with and for.
  • I'll be reluctant to even identify people and places for things I believe a genuinely good, in order to respect folks that may have contributed and have been inadvertently omitted.

If you got this far, thanks for reading.

No comments: